- We provide students with solid training in the study of Japanese society, culture, and language.
- We encourage students to develop a multi-disciplinary approach to Japan, and to critically evaluate and select appropriate approaches in their study of people and society.
- We educate our students to think critically about society and culture so that they facilitate communication between peoples and contribute to our rapidly changing world.
- We guide students to gain linguistic competence based upon knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and social contexts.
- We aim to establish CUHK as a research and teaching hub in China-Japan studies in Asia-Pacific region.