To enjoy concessionary MTR fares, students are required to use a valid Personalised Octopus Card with “Student Status”.
Eligibility of Applicant
- Full-time students aged 25 or below (an applicant's age is determined by the time when the application is submitted).
- Full-time course: a day-time course which normally requires the participant to attend an acceptable institution to receive not less than 20 hours of academic instruction each week for 30 weeks or more per calendar year.
New application: HK$90 (including HK$50 Octopus Card deposit; HK$20 non-refundable handling fee charged by Octopus Cards Limited and HK$20 MTR Student Travel Scheme administration fee).
Activation/Renewal of "Student Status" on a Personalised Octopus Card: HK$20 MTR Student Travel Scheme administration fee.
Application Procedure (2012/13 exercise)
Application Form can be obtained from the following offices:
|All Students (except students in Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Education and IASP)||Respective Department/School Offices|
Students with major in
|Foreign Students of International Asian Studies Programme (IASP)||International Asian Studies Programme, Office of Academic Links|
Students should go to their respective offices as listed in the above table for verification of student status and submit the endorsed application forms to any MTR Customer Service Centre (except Airport Express stations, Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Racecourse, Disneyland Resort and Sunny Bay stations) from 1 September 2012 onwards.
For students who apply for a Personalised Octopus Card with “Student Status”
- A receipt will be issued when you submit your application form. New applicants can present the receipt to buy a "Temporary Student Octopus Card" at any Customer Service Centre, and should carry the receipt and vailid Student Identity Card when travelling during the processing period.
- Students should tear off and keep the application procedure (pages 1 & 2 of the application form) for information and present their valid student identity cards and receipts in person and collect the Personalised Octopus Card with “Student Status” at the designated counters at specific time period and MTR Station (please refer to the details on the receipt). If cards are not collected during the specified period, students MUST collect their cards in person from the Student Travel Scheme Office at Admiralty Station, Tai Wai Station and Siu Hong Station (located in the unpaid area) from 1 December 2012 onwards.
For students who apply for Activation/Renewal of "Student Status" on a Personalised Octopus Card
- A receipt will be issued when students submit application form if their Personalised Octopus Cards do not yet have “Student Status”. Applicants without "Student Status" encoded in their cards can present the receipt to buy a "Temporary Student Octopus card" at MTR Customer Service Centre for travel during the processing period.
- Students should tear off and keep the application procedure (pages 1 & 2 of the application form) and follow the information printed thereon to activate/renew the “Student Status” on your Personalised Octopus Card.
MTR Hotline: 28818888 (Monday to Friday 8:30a.m. - 6:00p.m.; Saturday 8:30a.m. - 1:00p.m.)